(Originally Posted on March 14, 2014)
I came across this blogpost on Married & Young (here’s the link: http://marriedandyoung.com/5-things-you-should-pursue-when-single/) and the blog discusses 5 things we should pursue as singles. The areas of pursuit are personal spiritual pursuits, career and education pursuits, travel pursuits, ministry pursuits, and miscellaneous pursuits. Overall, this blog is very encouraging to singles and a very good read. Instead of focusing on the fact that we’re not married, we should enjoy our singleness and live life to the fullest. So based on this blog, I decided to make a bucket list, but instead of making a list of things to do before I die, I made a list of things to do before I get married. Here’s my list:
1. Personal Spiritual Pursuits
· Pray more—I pray daily, but I want to get to the point where I take everything before Jesus and discuss any and all issues/decisions with Him first.
· Leave no room for doubt. I struggle with this in regards to my future and future seasons of my life. I like to have everything mapped out for me. I want to know what to expect, how it’s going to happen, all of the details. Well, Jesus doesn’t work that way. There are certain things He will reveal to us and most things we just have to trust Him. I struggle with this, but I know He will help me get to the point where I trust Him and rest in Him instead of doubting.
· Get to know Jesus on an even deeper, more intimate level. There is so much to Jesus and I want to know it all. I know I won’t know it all, but that won’t stop me from trying.
· Learn the Greek translation for various words in the Bible. The Greek translation for various words in the Bible bring so much more understanding to what God is saying in His word.
· Pray in the spirit more.
· Memorize more scripture.
· Go on more dates with Jesus ❤
· Write (journal) to Jesus daily
· Let go and let Jesus use me whenever and however He pleases. I have to stop letting fear, selfishness, etc. interfere with this.
2. Career/Education Pursuits
· Obtain a Master’s Degree in Child Development (currently pursuing)
· Obtain a PhD in Child Development
· Start a business—the possibilities are endless! I have so many ideas that I need to start doing something with instead of thinking on them.
· Pursue a career as a Child Life Specialist
3. Travel Pursuits
There are so many places that I want to travel to!
Outside the U.S.:
· Italy—particularly Rome, Venice, Naples, and Milan
· The Bahamas
· Cayman Islands
In the U.S.:
· New Mexico
· New York
· Washington (Especially Seattle so I can visit Judah Smith’s church!)
· Washington, D.C.
· Florida (Orlando only! I just want to go to Disney World and Universal Studios Orlando)
· Georgia (This will be happening this summer!)
4. Ministry Pursuits
· Mission trip overseas—I was supposed to go on one this summer, but things didn’t work out so that I can go. However, I have not lost hope about going on a mission trip. It’s a desire God has placed in my heart and so it will happen in His timing.
· Continue serving in Children’s Ministry. I absolutely love serving in this ministry. I serve in the nursery and it is so much fun! I enjoy holding, playing with, and cuddling with the babies. It’s so nice to be able to provide this for the parents so that they can go and enjoy service while knowing that their child is in good hands. It is truly a blessing. Babies are amazing!
5. Miscellaneous Pursuits
· Read at least 1 book towards educational growth and 1 towards spiritual growth every month
· Run a marathon
· Get down to my goal weight
· Write my autobiography
· Learn how to play the guitar
· Love others more—I really struggle in this area. I honestly want to see everyone through God’s untainted eyes. I don’t want to see the hurt and pain that others have caused me, but to see them in love.
· Go to a concert every few months (what can I say, I’m a music junkie!)
· Volunteer at a hospital (currently working on this. Trusting God for His will to be done)
Here’s my list and I had so much fun writing it. I prayed about it before I began because I wanted to make sure everything I do is in line with God’s will for me. I suggest that every single do this. There is so much we can do as a single since we don’t have any responsibilities in regards to a family. Take advantage of this time instead of wasting it on moping around because your mate isn’t here. You don’t need a man or a woman to start living life. Live your life now! Plus, when God does bring you your mate and they ask you what you’ve done during your season of singleness, you don’t want to say, “I’ve just waited on you.” With that said, stop putting your life on hold. Live it and enjoy it!